Thursday, January 26, 2012

Baby Adventure: Yuma, Arizona

Yesterday was my 27th (gasp!) birthday and the family and I spent it on a mini road trip to Yuma, Arizona. It's a little over 2 hours of driving east on interstate 8 (4 hours if you have a breastfeeding munchkin on board like us, which we did not anticipate...) and not to mention the current time zone difference (Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings)... so after some considerable driving through a whole lot of nothing, we finally arrived at our destination at 4 pm local time. Did I forget to mention the reason for going to this land of nothingness was for a job interview? At 3 pm local time? Yeah...






So after all that, I was an hour late for my interview. Had I not been completely mortified by my mistake, I might have actually enjoyed the obviously different pace of life in Yuma. We stopped in at Buffalo Wild Wings on our way out, enjoyed some beer and wings since despite being a national chain San Diego doesn't have one, and drove home. While we were at the restaurant, he got a little fussy. I took him from his dad, cuddled him into my left arm like I do sometimes and put the pacifier in his mouth. He was so worn out from the day that he fell asleep like that in the middle of all the noise!


Considering being cooped up in his car seat nearly all day long, Daniel was awesome and only really fussed when his pacifier fell out of his mouth. The dry desert air really didn't agree with either of us and by the time we got to San Diego to drop off my parents SUV at their house, he was starving and inconsolable. Nothing a quick nursing and the familiar surroundings of his grandparents couldn't fix, though!

This was by far the most low-key birthday I've had in a long, long time. I am thankful just to have been able to spend the day with Gary and Daniel. We were originally planning on leaving Daniel with my parents tonight to have our first date night/birthday celebration, but then the whole job interview thing happened... and after our long day yesterday, the last thing I want to do is go out tonight. So maybe tomorrow. That phrase gets thrown around a lot by us lately...

I found this little gem today while Daniel was napping, I'm bummed that it hasn't been updated in quite a while and that it only has one page worth of recipes but I look forward to messing around the kitchen with these recipes when Daniel is old enough to chow down on real food :) I considered getting a baby food maker (like the Brezza or the Baby Bullet) but I think I will just get a food processor and some ice cube trays for when the time comes. Until then, I'm going to enjoy not having to spend money on his food.



No comments:

Post a Comment