Saturday, March 24, 2012

Growing like a weed.

It's 11:30 at night and I am importing photos from my iPhone to my computer in hopes to clear up some much needed space on my portable lifeline. I haven't imported photos since the little guy was about a month old and well, he's 4 months+2 days now and yeah, I'm looking at over 1000 photos! I'm sure the actual damage could be much, much worse. It's fun though, as each photo pops up on the screen as it's saved to my hard drive; reliving each photo and seeing how much he's grown in the last few months is such a treat. Did I mention that a couple weeks ago, I had him weighed at the WIC office and he clocked in at a smooth 17 pounds (he wasn't even 4 months old yet!). It's hard to believe considering how I feel like he's been this way forever but yes, he really did gain 10 pounds since his birth and yes, he has changed tremendously!


During the day is where I see the most change. For the most part, his night routine has changed very little since the first few weeks of his life. At around 5 pm, Daniel starts to fuss and really require a lot of attention. So for the 5 hours or so before we finally get him down to sleep, he cries and we work to soothe him and whatnot... he'll sleep for a few hours before waking up in the early morning to "nurse". I quote nurse because really, I think he just wakes up because he realizes he's alone. Rare is it that we actually make it through an entire nursing session at this time. We'll sleep off and on until about 8 or 9, at which time he's wide awake/bright eyed and bushy tailed... I'm EXHAUSTED still because of the constant wake-ups, but that's beside the point. He is awake a lot more during the day and the biggest change I've noticed recently is his ability to play by himself for extended periods of time. In his play yard, he'll play anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, at which point he gets tired of being on his back. He does a little tummy time throughout the day but the poor guy hates it so much, he fusses like crazy! He has great neck control though, and I believe is reaching his baby push-up/roll over milestones just fine so I'm not worried. In his exersaucer, which is a total Godsend, he will play in it for up to an hour! WOW! He'll just sit there and spend a little time at each little toy as he spins around in the seat and talks to himself and/or the toys. He used to be keen on talking to the dog with blue ears but now that he's reaching out and grabbing objects, he spends most of his time playing with the shapes attached to bigger shapes by fabric, the smaller shapes most of the time being in his mouth.

EVERYTHING is to the mouth now. His hands, my finger he grabs, toys, crinkly paper from his dad's sandwich, anything. It's so awesome seeing him grow and learn, LAUGH. His laugh is infectious! Everything about him is infectious. He's such a happy, smiling baby, I hope that continues as he grows and lasts further into the afternoon, too. I know now it's because by 5 pm, he's completely overwhelmed by life and over the day. I also hope that he gets back on track with his sleep training, SOON. The week before we moved, he was sleeping upwards of 6 to 8 hours a night straight... and then, we relocated and well, that's gone completely out the window. I'm sure he was feeling the stress and change of the situation in the week prior to moving; now that we've moved, I'm sure he feels a bit unsure about this new place. So I'm trying to be patient... but I'm feeling exhaustion I thought we were over with.


No comments:

Post a Comment