Monday, January 23, 2012

What life was like before, and a celebration of now!

On the second day of our 3-day hospital stay (birth day plus two days to monitor Daniel's jaundice), Gary and I were taking a walk around our floor with the bassinet when I came upon a realization that I could no longer remember what it was like not to have Daniel physically in my life. I guess that makes sense considering I spent the previous 9 months anticipating his arrival, the previous 24 hours LIVING his arrival only to lay my eyes on the most beautiful, helpless human being I had ever met. Not only could I not remember it, I didn't want to imagine my life without him. Now 2 months later, I am watching this rapidly growing boy bloom before my very eyes and despite my exhaustion, I cherish every waking (and sleeping, for me) moment.


With that said, Saturday night Gary and I got to live a little bit of our previous, pre-baby life. We went out with friends to a karaoke bar and I even enjoyed some drink. It was to celebrate my friend and I's January birthdays and well, you know what you do on your birthday... I paid for it when we got home, when baby was sleepy and all I NEEDED him to do was nurse for like, 2 hours straight. I guess it's true what they say about alcohol for letdown... ANYWAY. It suffices to say that I had a great time with my great friends.

At the bar waiting for our reservation.

My yogurt soju drink and his crown and coke.
Cupcakes for the birthday girls!
Some of the damage.

We left Daniel with my parents and he did great! I was so relieved to hear that he didn't fuss the night away like he often does with us around bedtime (we picked him up at 11, a little after he's usually in bed). I packed like a mad woman for his 4 hour stay at his grandparents, packing almost 2 of everything and what I thought might be too much pumped milk. I brought the diaper bag (with diapers and wipes) AND the diaper caddy (diapers, wipes, and other toiletries) that we use at home, just in case. I'm glad I did. The Medela pump-and-go bags are a bit tricky so I guess one of the bags was lost in action, and he peed through the outfit he was wearing early on.

Yesterday was Sunday, marking Daniel's 2-month birthday! Every Sunday, we go to my parents house for dinner. Last night, we decided to bring a cake to celebrate our boy's monumental day. To be honest, I wouldn't mind buying him a cake ever 22nd day of the month until his 1st birthday! I don't think that'll fly with his dad though, he's not as big a cake fan as I am. 
"Is this mine?"

"Wow! Thanks mama and papa!"

No comments:

Post a Comment